Strategies for Resolving the Impact of Post-Traumatic Stress
Feb 25 - Feb 26, 2020 (9:00 AM - 4:00 PM)
Trainer: Sheri Coburn, MSW, RSW
Price: $ 459.00 (regular rate) + taxRegister Now
Trauma is a wound that injures us emotionally, psychologically, physically, and spiritually. As a result, the impact of trauma can be far-reaching and enduring. This workshop provides an overview of the way trauma affects a person through the brain and nervous system. A framework which describes different stages in the process of regulating and resolving the impact of trauma is reviewed. Protective steps for enhancing helper wellbeing are also provided. Participants will learn key principles and strategies for working with trauma that apply to a diverse range of experiences and which can be applied to all ages.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Included
- When is a Person Traumatized?
- Types of Trauma – Developmental, Shock, Relational, Intergenerational
- Definitions of Post-Traumatic Impact
- Trauma – Immediate Symptoms and Impact
- Longer Term Impacts of Trauma
- The Impact of Trauma on the Body and the Brain
- The Role of Memory in Trauma and Healing
- Strategies for Moving into Regulated States
- Tools for Emotion Regulation
- Helping Someone Who is Dissociating
- Treating Trauma Over Time
- Safety and Stabilization
- Separating the Past from the Present and Future
- Reconnection and Resilience
This is an intermediate level workshop for social service and health care professionals, counsellors, social workers, school personnel, and anyone working with people who have experienced trauma.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Define trauma and understand the possible variations of potential impact
- Identify key assessment areas for individuals who have experienced traumatic events
- Describe the connection between traumatic experiences and post-traumatic stress symptoms
- Understand the role of the helper in supporting individuals
- Develop a treatment plan for supporting individuals who have experienced trauma
- Describe some key strategies and principles for working with people impacted by trauma
About Our Workshops
More Training Options On This Topic
What our clients have to say…
Add this to your Calendar
Terms & Conditions
Registrations cancelled seven or more days prior to the workshop/live stream are refundable, minus a $50.00 administrative fee. Alternatively, you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than seven days prior to the workshop are non-refundable. If at any time you are unable to take part in the event, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person.
We reserve the right to cancel an event due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of workshop/live-stream fees only. Please make travel arrangements with this in mind.
Register Early! To better facilitate group interaction, seating is limited.
Children and unregistered guests are not permitted in the meeting rooms.
You Will Receive
A spiral bound training manual and workshop certificate, as well as morning and afternoon refreshments. Participants are on their own for lunch from noon until 1:00 p.m., unless otherwise stated. For live-stream participants, you will receive a pdf copy of the manual.
Group Registration Instructions
To register a group for a workshop, choose the appropriate number you would like to register for the selected workshop, and fill in all the relevant information.
Concerns and Grievances
Special Accommodations for Disabilities
Continuing Education Credit
While many associations and licensing bodies accept CTRI workshops for continuing education credits, questions about approval should be directed to the specific association or licensing body for which you are requesting the credits. Credit hours: There are six continuing education credits earned for each day of training. For example, a one-day workshop earns six continuing education hours, while a two-day workshop earns 12 hours. A certificate will be awarded upon the completion of the workshop. See our Continuing Education Credits page for more information.