LIVE VIRTUAL Autism
Strategies for Self-Regulation, Learning, and Challenging Behaviours
Nov 18 - Nov 19, 2020 (9:00 AM - 4:00 PM Central Time)
Trainer: Kathleen Rooney, M.Ed.
Price: $409.00 CAD (*early rate) $459.00 CAD (regular rate) + tax
*early rate expires October 28, 2020
This is a live virtual event using Zoom, an online meeting platform. Please check system requirements prior to registering.
Working with individuals who have autism can be a very meaningful experience, but it is not without its challenges. With recent reports indicating that an increasing number of individuals are on the autism spectrum, a greater number of care providers are encountering individuals with autism as part of their work and life. While every person with autism is unique, many face similar challenges. The primary focus of this workshop is to provide practical strategies for working with high-need individuals around self-regulation, learning practices, and challenging behaviours. Participants will review a behavioural framework to provide effective strategies for each of these areas, which they will be able to adapt to their own specific environment and context.
Please note: This workshop is not providing training for clinical therapy – the aim of the workshop is to provide practical strategies for a wide range of helpers who support high-need individuals with autism.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Included
- Characteristics of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Different Approaches: Behavioural, Sensorimotor, Developmental, Biomedical
- Keys to Effective Interactions
- Strategies for Challenging Behaviours
- Determining the Function of Behaviour
- Mapping Out a Plan: Structures and Systems
- Understanding Anxiety and Autism
- How to be a Support in Self-Regulation
- Strategies for Hyposensitivity and Hypersensitivity
- Physical Self-Regulation Strategies
- Emotional Awareness and Self-Regulation
- Best Practices and Strategies for Learning
- Choosing Effective Learning Goals
- Special Considerations for Higher-Functioning Individuals
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for school personnel, social service and health care professionals, counsellors, parents, and anyone seeking a better understanding of autism.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, experiential practice, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Have a basic understanding of behavioural principles
- Understand how to identify the function of challenging behaviours
- Identify best approaches for a variety of challenging behaviours
- Describe steps for assessment, emotion identification, and replacement skills
- List cognitive strategies for working with anxiety in individuals with autism
- Create a learning plan with clear goals, appropriate task breakdown structure, and objective criteria
*Please act with integrity and allow only the registered individual(s) to view the workshop materials.
About Our Workshops
More Training Options On This Topic
What our clients have to say…
Add this to your Calendar
Terms & Conditions
Registrations cancelled seven or more days prior to the workshop/live stream are refundable, minus a $50.00 administrative fee. Alternatively, you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than seven days prior to the workshop are non-refundable. If at any time you are unable to take part in the event, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person.
We reserve the right to cancel an event due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of workshop/live-stream fees only.
You Will Receive
Login details approximately seven days prior the live stream date, as well as a PDF e-manual and workshop certificate.
Group Registration Instructions
To register a group for a workshop, choose the appropriate number you would like to register for the selected workshop, and fill in all the relevant information.
Concerns and Grievances
Special Accommodations for Disabilities
Continuing Education Credit
While many associations and licensing bodies accept CTRI workshops for continuing education credits, questions about approval should be directed to the specific association or licensing body for which you are requesting the credits. Credit hours: There are six continuing education credits earned for each day of training. For example, a one-day workshop earns six continuing education hours, while a two-day workshop earns 12 hours. A certificate will be awarded upon the completion of the workshop. See our Continuing Education Credits page for more information.