Live Stream: Walking Through Grief – Helping Others Deal with Loss
About the trainer
John Koop Harder, MSW, RSW
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Every person will experience grief and loss – a profound sense of final separation from something or someone important. Grief is a normal and appropriate reaction to the death of a loved one, the experience of separation/divorce, intergenerational loss, or the loss of opportunity. While there are similarities in how individuals work through loss, grief is a complicated and unique experience that requires helpers to be sensitive to the needs and experiences of those they are supporting. This workshop is designed to give helpers an increased awareness of the dynamics of grief, and to provide tools and strategies to best support someone who is grieving. Cultural and popular understandings of grief and loss, and the influences these have on how we experience and work with grief will be explored.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- Making Sense of Grief and Loss
- Factors that Shape How Grief is Experienced
- Considerations Related to Culture
- Myths and Misunderstandings
- Models for Understanding Grief
- Exploring the Impacts of Grief and Loss
- Responding to Grief and Loss
- Key Qualities to Effective Support
- Paths to Healing and Recovery
- The Role of Remembering and Ritual
- The Impact of Nutrition, Sleep, and Exercise
- Finding a New Normal
- Grief, Loss, and Depression
- Grief, Loss, and Trauma/Complicated Grief
- Grief, Loss, and Addictions
This is an intermediate level workshop for social service and health care professionals, counsellors, social workers, school personnel, and anyone supporting people working through grief.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Understand the complexities of grief and loss
- Recognize the influence of dominant discourses and mainstream understandings of grief
- Respond and support individuals, families, and communities impacted by grief
- Identify those needing increased support and intervention
- Apply and adapt learning to their own context and community
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.