LIVE STREAM Play Therapy
Tools for Helping Children and Youth
Apr 27 - Apr 28, 2020 (9:00 AM - 4:00 PM Central Time)
Trainer: Kelly Smith, MSW, RSW
Price: $ 409.00 (*early rate) $ 459.00 (regular rate) + tax
*early rate expires April 06, 2020
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Children express themselves, learn about their world, and feel most at ease when playing. This interactive workshop focuses on how to use play therapy strategies to help children and youth positively cope and work through stressful life experiences. Participants will become familiar with Play Therapy theory, clinical guiding principles, and various directive and non-directive creative interventions to use with a wide age range of children and youth. From an experiential lens, this training explores how to apply playful strategies to support children and youth on their path to healing. Get ready to play!
*Participants will create a small play-based toolkit to use during the training, and to take home!
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Included
- Why does Play Therapy Work?
- Attachment, Neuroscience, Family Systems
- Children’s Growing Brains: Cognitive and Development Stages
- Inner Resiliency – Child-Centered Play Therapy
- Using Directive vs. Non-directive Approaches with Children and Youth
- How Play can Help Overcome Trauma
- Play-based Cognitive and Behavioural Therapy Strategies
- Creative Interventions for Emotional Awareness and Self-Reflection
- Art-Based Therapy
- Helping Children and Youth Develop Self-Regulation
- The Impact of Family – How Family Play Therapy Helps
- Building the Blocks of Attachment
- Somatic Approaches and Body-based Exercises
- Skills for using a Sand Tray
- Tools to use Puppetry
- Develop Story-telling Skills
Please note: This workshop does not certify participants as a “Play Therapist” – the aim of the workshop is to provide practical strategies for a wide range of helpers who support children.
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for school personnel, social service and health care professionals, counsellors, social workers, parents, and anyone wanting to gain increased capacity in helping children and youth.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, experiential practice of activities and exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
- Describe theory and guiding principles of play therapy
- Understand the cognitive and developmental stages of children
- Describe age-appropriate directive and non-directive play therapy tools and interventions
- Illustrate practical and tangible tools for immediate use with client populations
About Our Workshops
More Training Options On This Topic
What our clients have to say…
Add this to your Calendar
Terms & Conditions
Registrations cancelled seven or more days prior to the workshop/live stream are refundable, minus a $50.00 administrative fee. Alternatively, you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than seven days prior to the workshop are non-refundable. If at any time you are unable to take part in the event, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person.
We reserve the right to cancel an event due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of workshop/live-stream fees only.
You Will Receive
Login details approximately seven days prior the live stream date, as well as a PDF e-manual and workshop certificate.
Group Registration Instructions
To register a group for a workshop, choose the appropriate number you would like to register for the selected workshop, and fill in all the relevant information.
Concerns and Grievances
Special Accommodations for Disabilities
Continuing Education Credit
While many associations and licensing bodies accept CTRI workshops for continuing education credits, questions about approval should be directed to the specific association or licensing body for which you are requesting the credits. Credit hours: There are six continuing education credits earned for each day of training. For example, a one-day workshop earns six continuing education hours, while a two-day workshop earns 12 hours. A certificate will be awarded upon the completion of the workshop. See our Continuing Education Credits page for more information.