Live Stream: Narrative Therapy – Tools for Exploring Stories
Nov 15, 2018 (9 AM - 4 PM Central Time)
Price: $ 235.00 (regular rate)
Online Live Streaming
Trainer: John Koop Harder, MSW, RSW
About the trainer
John Koop Harder, MSW, RSW
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
We are all influenced by stories. In some of these stories, we are active players; other stories are thrust upon us. When problems occur (as they inevitably do), “problem stories” have a tendency to overshadow other stories. A narrative counselling framework seeks to explore the numerous stories that shape and influence identity, problems, and preferred directions in life. Narrative therapy has been found to be a useful approach to many problems such as addictions, trauma, and mental health concerns. In addition, it also works well with diverse populations and age groups. This interactive workshop will provide participants with the tools and processes to begin using narrative frameworks with their clients.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- Key Concepts and Guiding Principles
- What Makes a Good Question
- The Art of Question Development
- Considerations Around Note Taking
- The Intertwining of Assessment and Intervention
- Getting to Know the Problem
- Highlighting the Preferred Narrative
- Exploring Supports
- The Role of Letter Writing
- Challenges and Critiques of Narrative Therapy
This is an intermediate level workshop for social service and health care professionals, counsellors, social workers, school personnel, and anyone wanting to gain increased capacity in counselling skills.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, experiential practice, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify issues shaping one’s identity and story(s)
- Separate the person from the problem(s)
- Develop questions to explore preferred identity and the influence of problems
- Engage a support network to better develop the preferred self
- Practice strategies within a narrative framework
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.