- This event has passed.
Live Stream: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – Tools for Thinking Differently
Oct 18, 2017 (9 AM - 4 PM Central Time)
Price: 235.00 (regular rate)
Online Live Streaming
Trainer: Tricia Klassen, MSW, RSW
About the trainer
Tricia Klassen, MSW, RSW
Tricia is a Registered Social Worker and holds a Master of Social Work and Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Developmental Studies. In addition to training with CTRI, she is a compassionate therapist who specializes in suicide intervention, self-injury, anxiety and depression and neurodevelopmental issues. Highlights of Tricia’s career include her role in family-centred research and training with Manitoba Family Services, several years as a social worker and therapist for St...
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Many of the challenges that we experience are based on irrational and unhelpful thought patterns that impact both our feelings and our behaviour. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is a time-sensitive, structured and present-oriented form of counselling that focuses on problem solving and teaching individuals how to modify these distorted patterns of thinking. CBT is also one of the most well-known, researched and practiced forms of therapy available to us. This workshop provides a strong foundational knowledge of the principles and strategies involved in using CBT. Participants will gain an understanding of which populations tend to benefit the most from CBT, and will be equipped with many strategies and tools that can be practically applied in their work.
- Overview of CBT Principles
- History and Development of CBT
- Strategies and Specific Tools
- Who Tends to Respond Well to CBT
- Why CBT can be so Effective
- Challenges and Limitations
- Applying these Principles to your Work
- Contrasting CBT with other Frameworks
Method of Delivery
Lecture, personal reflection, video, case study exercises, skill development and small group discussion
This is an intermediate level workshop intended for social service and health care professionals, teachers, social workers and anyone wanting to gain increased capacity in counselling skills.
At the end of the workshop, participants should be able to:
- Understand the definition of CBT and how this model differs from other counselling frameworks.
- Identify which problems are most conducive to and less suitable for CBT.
- Know how to develop an effective therapeutic relationship.
- Explain and implement a structured assessment and intervention process.
- Assist clients to identify and challenge unhelpful thoughts and beliefs.
- Practice key behavioral and problem solving interventions with individuals that improve functioning.
- Understand the challenges and limitations of using this model.
You Will Receive
A pdf copy of our resource manual.
Live streamed workshops are best viewed with another person. This allows you to fully participate in small group discussion and skill development opportunities. Note that each each person needs to individually register and pay.
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.