Live Stream: De-escalating Potentially Violent Situations™
About the trainer
Paul Carrick, MSW, RSW
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
For those who work in an environment where there is potential for violence, it is important to develop the skills needed to defuse dangerous situations. This workshop is designed to teach people to de-escalate potentially violent situations through assertiveness and interpersonal communication. The training will explore how anger and violence interplay, including opportunities for self-assessment of personal communication styles. Participants will develop a clear understanding of how to assess the potential for violence and respond with a diverse set of interpersonal tools and strategies designed to defuse potentially violent situations.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- The Physical Violence Spectrum
- Rating Your Workplace Risk Levels
- Anger Cycle and Escalation
- Anger Styles Assessment Questionnaire
- Warning Signs of Potential for Violence
- The Aggression Defusing Process
- Approaching, Containment, and Problem-Solving Strategies
- When and How to Disengage
- Special Considerations for Unique Situations
- Addressing Enablers of Violence
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for anyone wanting to learn more about violence and interpersonal strategies useful in de-escalating the imminent threats of violence.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, experiential practice, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Understand the role of anger in violent incidents
- Identify their own styles of interaction
- Describe a framework for defusing potentially violent situations
- Identify potential risk factors
- Apply the principles learned to their own environment
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.