Live Stream: Borderline Personality Disorder – Understanding and Supporting
About the trainer
Tricia Klassen, MSW, RSW
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is a clinical diagnosis that is often misunderstood. The experience associated with BPD involves intense emotional and behavioural challenges for both the individual and their relationships with the people around them. This workshop’s purpose is to increase the understanding of BPD from the perspective of all those impacted, including caregivers, family members, and those diagnosed. Participants will be given an opportunity to explore and better understand their own response as helpers when supporting individuals diagnosed with, or exhibiting behaviours associated with BPD. With this increased understanding and new strategies for offering support, participants will be better equipped in their role of supporting meaningful and manageable change in the lives of those impacted by BPD.
Please note: This workshop is not providing training for clinical therapy – the aim of the training is to provide understanding and practical strategies for a wide range of helpers who support individuals with BPD.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- History of BPD and Current DSM Diagnosis
- Common Challenges Associated with BPD
- BPD Traits, Characteristics, and Symptomology
- Causes of BPD
- The Link Between Trauma and BPD
- Traits versus Diagnosis
- The Experience of Living with BPD
- The Impact of BPD on Family, Friends, Caregivers
- Empathy and Boundary Considerations
- Considerations Around Self-Injury and Suicide
- Strategies and Keys to Supporting
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for social service and health care professionals, counsellors, social workers, family members, and anyone seeking a better understanding of borderline personality disorder.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify signs and symptoms indicative of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
- List and apply skills for supporting people living with BPD
- Differentiate between helpful and enabling behaviours when supporting or living with BPD
- Define and practice boundary setting when in a supporting role
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.