Live Stream: Autism – Strategies for Self-Regulation, Learning and Challenging Behaviours
Nov 01 - Nov 02, 2018 (9 AM - 4 PM Central Time)
Price: $ 445.00 (regular rate)
Online Live Streaming
Trainer: Kalyn Falk, MA
About the trainer
Kalyn Falk, MA
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Working with individuals who have autism can be a very meaningful experience, but it is not without its challenges. With recent reports indicating that an increasing number of individuals are on the autism spectrum, a greater number of care providers are encountering individuals with autism as part of their work and life. While every person with autism is unique, many face similar challenges. The primary focus of this workshop is to provide practical strategies for working with high-need individuals around self-regulation, learning practices, and challenging behaviours. Participants will review a behavioural framework to provide effective strategies for each of these areas, which they will be able to adapt to their own specific environment and context.
Please note: This workshop is not providing training for clinical therapy – the aim of the workshop is to provide practical strategies for a wide range of helpers who support high-need individuals with autism.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- Characteristics of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Different Approaches: Behavioural, Sensorimotor, Developmental, Biomedical
- Keys to Effective Interactions
- Strategies for Challenging Behaviours
- Determining the Function of Behaviour
- Mapping Out a Plan: Structures and Systems
- Understanding Anxiety and Autism
- How to be a Support in Self-Regulation
- Strategies for Hyposensitivity and Hypersensitivity
- Physical Self-Regulation Strategies
- Emotional Awareness and Self-Regulation
- Best Practices and Strategies for Learning
- Choosing Effective Learning Goals
- Special Considerations for Higher-Functioning Individuals
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for school personnel, social service and health care professionals, counsellors, parents, and anyone seeking a better understanding of autism.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, experiential practice, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Have a basic understanding of behavioural principles
- Understand how to identify the function of challenging behaviours
- Identify best approaches for a variety of challenging behaviours
- Describe steps for assessment, emotion identification, and replacement skills
- List cognitive strategies for working with anxiety in individuals with autism
- Create a learning plan with clear goals, appropriate task breakdown structure, and objective criteria
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.