IN-PERSON Addictions and Mental Health
Strategies for Complex Issues
Mar 02, 2022 (9:00 AM - 4:00 PM)
Trainer: Tom Walker, MSW, RSW
Price: $229.00 CAD (*early rate) $259.00 CAD (regular rate) + tax
*early rate expires February 09, 2022
Many people who experience mental health concerns also live with an addiction. While working with multiple issues at the same time is complicated, recovery from both of these issues is possible with an integrated, person-centred, and trauma-informed approach. This workshop provides a framework for assisting people to move forward with healthy ways of coping. Participants will explore the experience of living with an addiction and mental health concerns, be provided with an understanding of contributing and protective factors, and learn how to integrate strategies in a way that respects the person and supports their health.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Included
- The Words We Use Matter
- Beliefs and Assumptions That Impact Our Ability to Support
- Exploring Stigma, Silence, and Shame
- Links Between Addictions and Mental Health
- Key Considerations for Being Helpful
- Getting to Know the Person Outside of the Problem
- How an Integrated Approach Works
- Screening for Addictions and Mental Health Concerns
- Setting Realistic and Achievable Goals
- Collaborative Intervention Strategies
- Assessing and Promoting Readiness for Change
- Safety and Harm Reduction
- Skills for Emotional Regulation
This is an intermediate level workshop intended for social service and health care professionals, counsellors, social workers, school personnel, and anyone working with those who struggle with both addictions and mental health.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Explain the impact of stigma, silence, and shame
- Describe theories of change from both a mental health and addictions perspective
- Address individual needs from a unified, person-centred perspective
- Describe steps for working collaboratively with people on both mental health and addictions
- Integrate treatment approaches from both the mental health and addiction fields
About Our Workshops
More Training Options On This Topic
What our clients have to say…
Add this to your Calendar
Terms & Conditions
Registrations cancelled seven or more days prior to the event are refundable, minus a administrative fee. Alternatively, you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than seven days prior to the workshop are non-refundable. If at any time you are unable to attend the event, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person.
We reserve the right to cancel events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of event fees only.
You Will Receive
Group Registration Instructions
To register a group for a workshop, choose the appropriate number you would like to register for the selected workshop, and fill in all the relevant information.
Concerns and Grievances
Special Accommodations for Disabilities
Continuing Education Credit
While many associations and licensing bodies accept CTRI workshops for continuing education credits, questions about approval should be directed to the specific association or licensing body for which you are requesting the credits. Credit hours: There are six continuing education credits earned for each day of training. For example, a one-day workshop earns six continuing education hours, while a two-day workshop earns 12 hours. A certificate will be awarded upon the completion of the workshop. See our Continuing Education Credits page for more information.
Filming and Photography
Crisis & Trauma Resource Institute reserves the right to film video content and take photography at our events. Some of our workshops will be live-streamed and filmed for participants not in attendance. Filming and photography may also be used for promotional materials. If you would like to know if we will be filming an event you are attending, please contact our office.