Social and emotional skills form the basis for wellness in all areas of a person’s life. The process through which children and adults acquire the ability to recognize and use emotions to guide behaviours, social interactions, and decision-making is referred to as social-emotional learning or SEL. This workshop was developed to enhance the social emotional skills of adults within a school environment so that they can more effectively model and teach SEL to their students. By focusing on building self-awareness and personal practices of SEL competencies, participants will be able to foster SEL in their school environment – whether they are administrators, teachers, or support staff. Participants will learn and apply practical, powerful strategies to enhance social and emotional competence within themselves and their students. This workshop illustrates a whole-school approach to SEL, and teaches simple, foundational elements that support SEL implementation.
“The day was awesome! The trainer was a very dynamic and engaging presenter who has a wealth of knowledge. The workshop was interactive and relevant, and the discussion on teacher wellness was very timely and practical.”
Sheldon Barry, Principal
Newfoundland and Labrador English School District
Some of the Topics Included
- The Benefits SEL
- SEL Core Competencies
- Developing Self Awareness and Management
- Developing Social Awareness and Relational Skills
- Learning Responsible Decision Making
- Pillars of Effective SEL Implementation
- Ways to Cultivate a Caring Connection
- How to Help Students Connect and Contribute
This is an introductory to intermediate level workshop is intended for school personnel, childcare providers, and support workers in an educational environment.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, experiential practice, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Review the benefits and positive outcomes of using Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in the classroom.
- Consider SEL as a whole school approach for enhancing staff well-being and student achievement.
- Use practical strategies to increase social and emotional competence and resilience among school staff.
- Master helpful approaches to foster SEL in students and in the classroom.