Mental health concerns will directly impact one in every five people. The remaining four will know a friend, family member, co-worker, or acquaintance that struggles with their mental health. It is essential that organizations build capacity to support those with mental health concerns because early identification and support typically leads to continued employee wellbeing. This workshop will explore factors affecting mental health, give participants a general overview of common adult mental illnesses and, most importantly, how to be a support. Participants will learn strategies for creating a more inclusive work environment that reduces stigma surrounding mental illness.
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- Why Mental Health Matters
- Stigma and Myths About Mental Illness
- Illness as Influence, not Identity
- A Review of Common Mental Illnesses
- Mental Illness and Addictions
- Mental Illness and Suicide
- Keys to Creating a Supportive Environment
- People and Organizations to Access
- Finding a Qualified Counsellor
- Tips for Supporting Those That May Be Struggling
- How to Approach Someone About a Mental Health Concern
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop applicable to anyone wanting to learn more about mental health, including employees and managers.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, personal reflection, and small group discussions.