Lateral violence occurs when harmful behaviours we experience show up in our interactions with others. It is expressed in many forms including lack of trust, favouritism, and poor communication – these issues typically lead to conflict between individuals or within an entire group. Moving beyond the cycle of lateral violence begins with people becoming aware of its causes and impacts. This workshop explores the various dynamics of lateral violence and offers solutions for prevention. Participants will develop better personal awareness and enhance their communication and conflict resolution skills.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Included
- Types of Lateral Violence
- Escalation of Lateral Violence
- Working Towards Solutions
- Lateral Violence and Conflict
- Dealing with Misunderstandings
- The Intention Check
- Transforming Arguments
- Finding Your Interaction Style
- Anger Escalation Cycle
- Trigger Phrases and Gestures
- Different Styles of Communicating
- Communicating Effectively
- Preventing Lateral Violence
This is an introductory level workshop intended for anyone wanting to explore the various dynamics of violence and learn strategies for responding to and preventing it.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, experiential practice, personal reflection, and small group discussion.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- List the types and severity of lateral violence
- Describe the stages of lateral violence escalation
- Identify styles of conflict interaction
- Summarize key steps toward a resolution process