Board governance, when done poorly, creates significant frustration for its members and can lead to organizational dysfunction. When they are run well, boards contribute to the vibrancy and success of the organization they govern. This training will enhance the effectiveness of your board of directors by building clarity and understanding of their roles and responsibilities, the relationship and authority between staff and the board, and the specific, supportive duties of individual board members. Participants will learn tools for effective board meetings and decision making. They will also come away with a deeper understanding of the policy, procedure, and processes essential to a well-functioning board.
This workshop is presented by ACHIEVE Centre for Leadership & Workplace Performance.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- Legal Duties of Board Members
- Board Responsibilities and Obligations
- Governance vs. Management
- Individual Board Member Responsibility
- Bylaws and Board Level Policy
- Characteristics of Healthy Boards
- Board Member Orientation
- Board Committees and Developing Terms of Reference
- Strategies for Running Good Board Meetings
- How to Make Decisions
This is an intermediate level workshop.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, personal reflection, and small group discussions.