When diversity and cultural differences lead to misunderstandings or distrust, they are often viewed as challenges to manage within our work environments. However, they are better viewed as valuable assets to organizational health. This workshop examines specific elements of diversity and culture as they relate to communicating, power differentials, and experiences of discrimination. Participants will learn strategies for working with differences and promoting inclusion in the workplace.
Offered through ACHIEVE Centre for Leadership.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Included
- What is Meant by Diversity?
- What is the Difference Between Equity and Equality?
- Inclusion and Exclusion Dynamics
- Language Considerations – How We Talk
- Cultural Context Model
- Culture Differences and Conflict
- Communicating Across Difference
- Culture and the Dynamics of Power
- Discrimination and Rights
- Organizational Strategies and Remedies
This is an intermediate level workshop applicable to both leaders and employees.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- To define diversity, equity, inclusion, and exclusion
- To describe how conflict, culture, and diversity relate
- To define cultural competence, and communication across differences
- To name the dynamics of power, bias, and discrimination
- To explore rights, organizational considerations, responsibilities, and strategies