How it Works
Once purchased, you will receive links to view the recorded workshop in 8 parts, each part is approximately 1.5 hours. You will also receive a resource manual to assist you as you view the workshop as well as handouts used during the training, if applicable. There is a post-test at the end of the workshop. Once you have completed and passed the test, you will receive your certificate. Your recordings and resources can be found in your account under ‘My Library’, in On-demand Workshops and are accessible for 60 days from the time of purchase.
Helpers regularly encounter stories and symptoms of trauma in their roles. There is growing evidence that the impact of directly supporting others through experiences of trauma goes beyond burnout or fatigue. The toll of witnessing intense human experiences and emotions can contribute to a negative transformation of a helper’s own sense of safety, and of being competent and purposeful. This workshop will provide participants with the opportunity to examine their own experiences and become aware of the signs of both vicarious trauma and vicarious growth. Participants will have the opportunity to develop a personalized plan to repair negative effects as well as accelerate their resilience.
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Vicki Enns, MMFT, RMFT
Vicki is the Clinical Director of the Crisis & Trauma Resource Institute, an Approved Supervisor with the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy and an instructor in the graduate program for Marriage…Read More
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Describe the process of vicarious impact on a helper from working with trauma
- Distinguish between the concepts of secondary stress, vicarious trauma, and vicarious resilience
- Identify key vulnerabilities and strengths in one’s own practice as a helper
- List strategies for the transformation of vicarious impact into resilience
About this Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- Signs of Vicarious Trauma
- Anchor Points that Keep You Solid and Steady
- Empathy – A Vicarious Experience
- Building Self-Awareness of the Impact of Working with Trauma
- External Factors Impacting the Effects of Trauma Work
- Individual Factors Impacting the Effects of Trauma Work
- Recognize the Sound and Feel of Your Alarm
- Strategies for Building Empathic Resilience
- Practicing Vicarious Resilience
- Building a Personalized Plan
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop for social service and health care professionals, counsellors, social workers, school personnel, and anyone working in the helping profession.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.